Congressional App Challenge

Kamden and Zoe

Have you ever wanted to compete in a competition that is based on coding and building apps? Here is the perfect competition for you. This competition is called the Congressional App Challenge. It started July 26th and ends November 1st, at 11 am.

The competition is hosted by members of congress, who encourage high school students to participate. The Congressional App Challenge is designed to engage students in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) fields. The software application created can be focused on any subject, desire, or interest. The apps do not have to be educational, informational, or boring. For example: Games, Problem Solving apps, News, Lifestyle, Entertainment, Social Networking, Utilities, and Productivity Apps are all eligible to be used in the competition. The only requirements are that the app must be original, solely owned by the contestant, and must have been created within the past year.

Participating districts are recognized by congress, and the leading applications have been displayed in the US Capitol building. Prizes are offered to those who excel in the competition, but most importantly, students who participate are learning unique skill sets that will greatly benefit them in the future. Not only will students learn to code, but they will learn problem solving, to inspire, engage students, and to innovate.

A former Fountain Lake Charter High School student, Alexa, participated in The Congressional App Challenge during the 2016 season. Her application “Fulfill” was inspired by her previous struggle with an eating disorder. Knowing that numbers and calories can be toxic to the recovery process, her app uses “fuel” to gauge nutrition levels. Not only is the app well designed, but it eloquently reaches out to others who are struggling. She won second place in the Fourth District Congressional App Challenge, and is still working to improve upon her app today.

To enter the competition, participants must register and begin their app design. After the final product has been submitted, you are able to complete an exit survey. The app must have a level of functionality, as the purpose of this challenge is to teach students how to code. Winners will be announced in December of 2017.

If you are interested in joining The Congressional App Challenge, contact Cara Cox or Ben Gilmore. A good contact number would be (501)609-9796, if you are looking for further information. By searching “The Congressional App Challenge” you will find more information on registration, deadlines, and requirements.